Tuesday, March 11, 2008

WIPs

I can't believe I'm going to do this, but in an effort to shame myself into finishing some of the umpteen projects I have laying around, I'm going to catalog all of the current Works in Progress that I have going. Some have been laying idle for years. This might turn into a series of posts. First up, a stuffed rhinoceros. I started this as a gift for a friend's baby. He's almost 2 now. Oops. I had a really good start, and I'm actually about 75% done. But doing all the little pieces and sewing it up just doesn't seem to appeal to me. Maybe I'll finish it in time for my next kid.

rhino Then there's a couple pairs of booties, also intended as baby gifts for children who are definitely too big for booties. The pink ones are super close to being done. I just have to sew the soles on, and then add a button for the t-strap. It's just...the soles seem to be a big small for the top part of the shoe, and I'm annoyed/embarassed at how off the sizing is in general. And YES, I did a gauge swatch, and it still came out all wonky. The green stripey one, well, I made the one and it was enormous and I got discouraged and abandoned the other.
I feel compelled to mention that both of these booties, as well as some others that I attempted before came from this evil book, which had gorgeous pictures and made it seem like it would be so easy, and if it weren't so damn expensive, I would probably chuck it out the window or maybe set it on fire. This book is largely responsible for my hatred of following patterns. Grrr.

Next up, here's a hat that I started about 4-5 months ago for Evy. This is actually the second attempt, as the first ended up unraveled.

Here is an amigurumi bunny that I started a while back, when I first got obsessed with amigurumi. I don't know why I didn't finish this guy. He's about 90% done. Just needs another ear, 2 arms and a leg.
This is a scarf I was making as a Christmas gift for my brother's girlfriend. I'm actually going to see her next month in California, and now I'm debating whether I should still try and finish this to give to her or just make something else entirely. Argh.

This is the dishcloth that I started a couple weeks ago. It's actually almost done (the picture's old). It's the easiest, most mindless project I've got going, which is probably why I've been working on it the most lately.

What else? Hmmm...

Oh, there's the needle roll, but I won't bother posting a picture since that post is fairly recent. not to mention that nothing's changed since the last time I wrote about it. Still working on the cables...boring.

Ay, I just remembered this sad project.

It's the bottom half of what was going to be a cardigan and pants set, made from a felted sweater. The problem is, after using the sleeves to make the pants above (which still need to have an elastic waistband put on), I realized that I don't have enough material left to make the sweater. And now I have the added issues of E being too big and the weather being too warm out for wool sweaters. *sigh*

Last, but not least, I have this sleeveless top that I was going to give as a gift for my mom's birthday...5 years ago. Egad. I'm also not that far from done on this one. I don't know what my problem is. Maybe I can get it done for Mother's Day this year.

I think that's actually everything for now. I have a few pairs of knee socks that need to be converted to babylegs for a friend, but I'm actually going to knock those out tonight. So all in all, not great, but not as bad as I really thought it was going to be.

4 comments:

Jen Da Purse Ho said...

I had the EXACT same experiences w/ that EVIL baby bootie book! the shoes came out WAAAAAAAAAAAAY too big and misshapen!!

Michelle said...

AHA! I'm so glad to hear that I'm not the only one who had problems with that @#%& book! I feel so vindicated.

Jen Da Purse Ho said...

i've made about 6 pairs of booties from that book..and each one came out WAY TOO BIG!!! i even did them on MUCh smaller needles w/ much smaller yarn...same problem. i know a couple of other ppl w/ the same complaint. But i also know a few others that did just fine. Alot of booties patterns are written to be too large in my experience. these babies have gigantic feet I guess! :)

Jamie said...

Now I feel bad for putting you to work on our leg warmers. LOL

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin