Saturday, January 29, 2011

Valentine's Day stuff

For the first time ever, I'm on top of my crafting more than a week before the actual holiday!  Amazing!

I bought the Farbenmix Redondo skirt pattern a couple months ago and have been dying to try it out.  I'd originally planned on making E another broomstick-style Valentine's skirt, but then I figured why not give the new pattern a try?

Here it is, spread out in all its twirly glory:
photo

I have to say, I have totally fallen in love with this pattern and cannot wait to make more. It's one of those patterns that looks like it was super complicated to make when actually it was quite simple.  I did make a couple small deviations from the original pattern though.  The original calls for you to cut out 5 panels.  Well, I wanted to alternate two different fabrics and did not want to have two of the same next to one another, so I decided to add one more panel. To try and compensate for the width of the extra panel, I left out the seam allowance (which was not included anyways) when I cut all the pieces.  I will say, cutting the spirals was a bit of a pain - easily the most difficult part - because you cannot fold your fabric over and cut two at a time.  I also ended up extending the waistband piece to accommodate the extra panel.  It's probably a tad big in the waist, but I figure no one will see that part anyway since it will be hidden under a shirt.


To match, the skirt, I made a shirt with a simple reverse applique heart.

photo

And because I've been on a flower-making spree lately, a matching hair clip:
photo

E was pretty excited about the outfit, especially the skirt.  Something about twirly skirts always appeals to little girls. ;)

photo
Next time, I think I'm going to try and make it as directed, with the five panels, but I'm going to try and add another flounce to each panel, as described in this variation from the Farbenmix website.
Last, but not least, I also whipped up this Valentine's Day advent-style countdown calendar, from this tutorial.  E was super disappointed that we didn't get to do her Christmas advent this year since we were out of town so much, so I thought this would be a nice surprise for her.  Can't wait to give it to her on Tuesday!
photo

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin