Monday, June 15, 2009

Mmmm...more food


I'm on a big cooking and baking streak lately. One of my favorite recipe blogs is 101 Cookbooks, which has a lot of great vegetarian fare and healthy baking ideas. Last night, I made her Summer Squash Gratin using some zucchini and yellow squash from the farmers market. It turned out sooooo good! Savory, crunchy, herb-y deliciousness! Definitely a great way to use up zucchini from the garden...if I had a garden.

My notes:
I don't own a mandoline slicer, so it was a wee bit labor intensive to slice the potatoes paper-thin, but definitely worth it - just make sure you have a very sharp knife. I also didn't have fresh bread crumbs so I substituted panko, which I think worked out perfectly. I probably could have browned my butter more, but I think the difference would have been negligible since most of the crumbs end up browned in the oven anyway.

I loved the lemon zest in this recipe. It really added a nice bright flavor to the dish and I think I'll probably add more next time, maybe even mix it in with the squash and potato mixture so it's more evenly distributed. I also think reserving some of the pesto to drizzle on top was a waste. I may just use less olive oil next time for a smaller yield and mix everything in.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin